- 4 fillets of firm white fish, skinless and boneless (720g)
- 30g dill, chopped
- 20g mint leaves, chopped
- 10g tarragon, chopped
- 15g ginger, peeled and finely grated
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 eggs
- 30g breadcrumbs
- 8 mild, long green peppers (280g net)
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Beetroot relish:
- 300g cooked beetroot, finely grated
- 50g soured cream
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp caster sugar
- 25g freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Serves four, 3 koftas per person
- Start with relish. Place the beetroot in a colander for half an hour for some of the juice to drain or gently squeeze out some of the liquid with your hands (you probably want to protect them with gloves!). Transfer to a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients along with ½ a teaspoon of salt and some black pepper. Mix well, taste to adjust the seasoning and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Cut the fish into tiny dice – 1-2mm. Place in a bowl and add the fresh herbs, ginger, lemon zest, garlic, ground spices, eggs, breadcrumbs, 1½ teaspoon of salt and some black pepper. Mix well and then form into round patties weighing about 55 grams each.
- Place a heavy ovenproof iron or chargrill pan on a high heat. When red hot, put the peppers inside and grill for 15 minutes, turning once, until the skin is nicely charred and blistered. Remove from the pan and set aside. Wipe the pan clean and add the 2 teaspoon of oil. Sear the koftas for 4 minutes, turning once, then transfer the pan to the oven for 8 minutes, until the koftas are cooked through.
- Place 3 koftas on each plate along with 2 peppers. Spoon the beetroot relish alongside and serve at once.