- 250g podded broad beans (fresh or frozen )
- 1 large avocado, peeled and roughly chopped (190g net weight)
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice, plus 1 strip finely shaved lemon skin
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
Serves four to six
Lemon juice prevents the natural discoloration of avocado when it gets mashed, so you can make this ahead of time without worrying about losing that wonderfully vibrant green.
- Fill a small saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil. Blanch the beans for two minutes, then drain, refresh and drain again. Peel off and discard the beans’ skins, then set aside 50g. Put the rest of the beans in a food processor with the avocado, lemon juice, two tablespoons of oil and a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and blitz until almost smooth. Heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil in a small frying pan on a medium-high flame, then gently fry the spring onions and lemon skin for a minute. Off the heat, stir in the reserved broad beans and a pinch of salt. Spread out the avocado and broad bean mash over a plate, making sure there is a rim around the edge, spoon the spring onion mix into the middle and serve.