- 150g crustless rustic bread (stale or fresh) - sourdough or ciabatta, for example - cut in 2-3 cm cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small cucumbers (15cm long), cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored and cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp sumac (optional)
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tsp red-wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Serves four
This salad is only worth making when tomatoes are in season and full of flavour. It should be acidic and tangy, and will taste amazing alongside a piece of slightly charred meat from the barbecue.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3. Spread out the bread on a roasting tray, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with some flaky salt. Bake for 20 minutes until crispy and golden, then leave to cool.
- Mix all the other salad ingredients and adjust the seasoning to taste. Just before serving, mix in the toasted bread, using your hands.