It may seem a little counterintuitive to grill leaves, but it really elevates certain salads, particularly those with hardy wintry leaves.
4 as a starter
3½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
4 tsp runny honey
1 shallot, very finely chopped (50g)
½ red chilli, finely chopped (10g)
60ml olive oil
1 head radicchio (250g), trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
150g kale, woody stems removed and leaves roughly shredded (100g)
1 orange, skin and pith removed and flesh cut into half-moons
40g blanched hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
Fine sea salt and black pepper
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients together with 1/8th teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously to emulsify.
2. Place the radicchio and kale in a large bowl and add half of the dressing, ¼ teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper and toss gently to combine.
3. Place a well-oiled griddle pan on a high heat and, once smoking, add the radicchio and kale in batches, cooking until charred in places but not completely wilted, about 1- 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a tray while you continue with the rest.
4. Toss the orange in the remaining dressing until well coated.
5. To serve, arrange the radicchio, kale and oranges onto a serving platter and spoon over some of the dressing. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts, drizzle with the sesame oil and serve.