For this sweet salad Good nectarines and cheese are essential here. The beetroot dressing is dazzling red. Rather than keeping it discrete, as here, you can also toss the ingredients in it.
- Serves four
- 1 small beetroot
- 20g honey
- 15g Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 25ml cider vinegar or
- ½ white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 120ml olive oil , plus extra to finish
- 40g whole almonds, skin on, roughly chopped
- 10g butter
- 1 endive
- 4 small nectarines; 20g rocket
- 120g gorgonzola, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Wash the beetroot, wrap it in foil and bake for two hours, or until very soft, then peel.
- To make the dressing, put the beetroot, honey, mustard, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process for a few seconds, then incorporate a quarter of the oil at a time. It should be smooth and homogenous.
- Sauté the almonds in butter and a pinch of salt for three to four minutes, then set aside to cool. Trim the base of the endive and carefully separate the leaves. Halve the nectarines, remove the stone and cut each half into three wedges. To assemble, spoon some dressing in a circle in the centre of a serving plate. Top with four or five endive leaves, hollow side up. Drizzle with oil and arrange the nectarines, rocket and cheese inside the leaves. Drizzle more oil around and about, and sprinkle with almonds.