- 75ml vegetable oil
- 50g tamarind pulp
- 125ml water
- 300g prawns, shelled and deveined
- 100g stink beans (Petai)
- Salt, to taste
- Caster sugar, to taste
- Ground Spice paste
- 80g fresh red chillies, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 10g dried chillies, de-seeded and soaked in water
- 200g Thai shallots
- 20g garlic cloves
- 20g candlenuts
- 10g belachan (toasted)
A recipe from Ramael Scully's Curry crash course.
- Place all the ingredients for the spice paste in a food processor and blitz. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the spice paste and sauté until fragrant.
- Mix the tamarind pulp with the water and strain the mixture. Add the prawns and tamarind water and bring to a quick boil. Add the stink beans and season to taste with salt and sugar. Fry the prawns until they are cooked and the gravy is at the desired consistency and then serve at once.